They are the closest living relative of the tyrannosaurus rex and they outnumber humans on this earth by more than 6 to 1. Yet for the 43 billion chickens on this planet, so few are ever seen.
Chickens are indeed wonderful animals and if you have the chance to get to know them you will soon see they are far more worthy than the bird brained label we have placed upon them. Chickens can learn their name, come when called and can even be taught tricks!
Some other fun chicken facts:
- Chickens have a cognitive ability to rival some cats and dogs
- There are over 200 different breeds of domestic chickens, all believed to have originally descended from the red Jungle Fowl
- The scientific name for chickens is Gallus Gallus
- Chickens are believed to have been domesticated over 10,000 years ago
- In their natural environment chickens are fastidiously clean and will preen their feathers everyday
May is also International Respect for Chickens Month.